Thursday, February 28, 2008

Life is too short.

I just found out that a friend has passed away. Lisa Heyman was a wonderful inspiration as a mother and a homeschooler. I met her at the unschooler conference in Peabody at the very beginning of my homeschooling journey. I think because I met her there I didn't realize what a gem she was. I thought she was the norm, but she was actually a leader in the unschooler community.

Her daughter met T and they became instant friends. We hooked up two years ago when they came camping in Allaire, but all the other activities they had going on seemed too far away. Lisa tried again and again to include us in their activities, but it always seemed like too much work.

She was the ultimate unschooler, and her daughters are living proof that it works. She was ill for a while, and finally diagnosed just a few short weeks ago. Her death leaves a huge hole on the unschooling community, and my heart breaks for those two beautiful children.

I obviously regret not joining her events more, and hopefully will learn from my mistakes.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

This is so sad. I read what you wrote on the memorial blog- very nice. I hope her daughters will find some comfort reading the wonderful things that so many people are writing about their Mom.