Sunday, June 15, 2008

Instincts

I've been thinking about being a parent alot lately. Some days it feels like such a crap shoot. None of us really knows what we are doing, we have to just go with our gut. And how many of us have a solid foundation with which to rely on?

Some times it amazes me that the earth still turns!

Three years ago I was convinced that unschooling - radical unschooling - was the best way to raise kids. It was the only way to truly honor and love them.

Now I am convinced that I need to do major 'schooling at home'.

How can my beliefs have changed so much? In both instances I am very sure of myself. Which is right? Which is wrong?

Then I come to the realization that both are right, and wrong. And it really doesn't matter what you do. You just have to love them.

I also have come to realize that I need to trust my instincts more. No one knows my child like I do. And even tho I'm learning as I go, I know what my child needs.

It always surprises me when people feel the need to tell me what to do. I must put out a vibe that says I am open to their advice, when really I'm not! I'm okay if they tell me what I'm doing is great! but not so much otherwise!

On a completely different note, we are all about the wii fit around here! Each and every one of us has a profile and enjoys using it. You have to see Johnley doing the hula hoop or Sammy doing the ski jump, its priceless. Even Nick has gotten on the bandwagon, which is a good thing because I told hip it is his Father's day present!

So...

Happy Father's Day!!!

1 comment:

pamajama said...

Oh, I totally get the thing about putting out a vibe that convinces people they know more than you do. WTF? How anyone thinks this is the case is beyond my ability to conceptualize! i really believe only stupid people think they have all the answers. Really stupid people. Jackasses. So when they start giving you advice respond this way: HEE-HAW!

Uh-oh. Did I just tell you what to do? I think I did. Shit.