Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Oh bother

Johnley was crying alot today, and I really think it was because he was sad. He kept saying he was hungry, but nothing I offered interested him, not even a bowl of candy. I decided to take him and Sammy out to walmart for a distraction and on impulse stopped where Teri works so he could speak to Rose, who is Haitian. The last time we went there, he was too shy to talk to her, but this time he let her talk to him, slowly and then let her hug him. He finally told her he was hungry for rice! Of course, he misses his own culture. Then when it was time to go he didn't want to leave her, he cried all the way home and for 30 minutes on my lap.
This poor kid, I can't even imagine what he is going through, but I don't think I am doing enough. And of course, I don't have time for Sammy's nonsense, even tho it is completely age appropriate. I wish I knew what I was doing. I wish I learned more Haitian, I wish I learned some Haitian cuisine...I wish Nick would stay home from work once in a while.

Today Ilene was talking about Thanksgiving. I don't know what to do. I originally thought we should just stay home and have it with just us, but T and S are used to getting together with extended family. And I can't know how Johnley will be that day. Oh bother. Did I mention that I don't have the energy for this?

3 comments:

Crazy Mixed Up Momma said...

Oh Aimee, I so amazed by you and Nick. I can't imagine the pain you must feel when you see poor Johnley trying to understand this new world. What mourning he must going through. As an outsider reading your blog he really does seem to be starting to make progress. Have strength, momma! We are all rooting for all of you! Hope you feel better soon.

pamajama said...

Nick is doing what men are trained to do, go to work and pay the bills! Remember that:) When you want him to stay home say this: "Thank you for working and supporting our family." LOL Do you want to slap me yet?

JOE COLE said...

Aimee -

You didn't even mention that Johnley came over our house and was wonderful....all the kids played exceptionally well together and Johnley ATE and ATE and ATE....and then when he was done (long after all the kids were gone and were playing) picked up his cup, put it on his plate and brought his plate, cup and silverware th the kitchen!!!! And you did not mention the glorious sounds of the the children laughing downstairs...
....

Thank you so much for coming over to share my birthday.