Saturday, October 27, 2007

First day - part 2

It rained all day yesterday. The perfect day to do nothing buy get acquainted. Johnley came with nothing. He had a little bag of various toys that Nick had brought down with him, but that's it. Nick purchased a few trinkets from Haiti, some paintings, some painted scrap metal (shaped like the sun, very nice) and a vase. Johnley was very protective of his possessions. He gave them to me to protect and when Sammy came to touch them, Johnley said "no, no, Sammy". The first toy he noticed was a Winnie-the-Pooh riding toy that I have here for Cara. He rode it all day, and is still riding it now! Taishauna showed him that the seat opens and Johnley immediately began collecting treasures all over the house and storing them. When it got full, he would empty it and begin again!



Sammy was wonderful! He showed Johnley all around the house and pointed to all his books and toys. They played together for a while (sort of) and then Sammy announced that he wanted us to take him back and bring back a brother who speaks like us! He is happy, though, to have his daddy home. He spent the day just playing with his dad, and Johnley spent the day discovering all the toys. Lunch time came and Sammy ate his sandwich, Johnley was not interested, but they both had a piece of candy after. (Don't sweat the small stuff, right?) Then it was nap time. Naptime was really important because: 1. Nick discovered if Johnley doesn't get a nap, the whole afternoon is one big meltdown, and 2. Nick and I were exhausted! (neither of us had slept more than 4 hours the past couple of nights. So we bring the boys to bed, convince Sammy that if he goes to sleep Johnley will, and we go to our room. Johnley just sits on his bed, mad as hell. Then he begins to cry. Nick goes in for a little while and then decides to just leave him to it. We both pass out and when we wake up, we discover that Johnley has passed out on the bare mattress. He took the sheets off. We cover him up and let him sleep.




When he wakes up he comes out to the family room all smiles, and we spend the afternoon doing more of the same. At one point Sammy wants to watch the Little Mermaid, so we put it on. Johnley begins watching it and then gets very sad. I don't know if he is scared, bored, or sad, but it is the most pitiful look I have ever seen. So I call Taishauna to come out of her room, and he perks right up! He loooooves Taishauna! They begin coloring together and his smile returns.
Dinner time was great! We found a child who will eat what we serve! Nick made a chicken and rice dish, and Johnley ate every bit and asked for seconds. Taishauna ate plain chicken and Sammy wanted a hot dog! Nick was told that typically, the kids will eat really well until they discover pizza and french fries and such and then they join their American counterparts in becoming picky! I am just going to enjoy it while I can!

Next came bathtime - apparently they don't have bathtubs, they just wash up (which means that the bath oils and lotions we gave the house mothers were for shit :) oh well!). We put Sammy in the tub with water, washed him and then he sat down. We put Johnley in, washed him and he wouldn't sit. We put the toys in, started playing, but he wasn't having it. He just stood there shivering. So we got both boys out and put feet pajamas on them (we figured it was really cold compared to Haiti). Johnley looked confused but let us have our way, especially since Sammy was wearing them too.
I tried to settle them down by reading to them, it worked for a while till it didn't! They played for a little while and then we brushed teeth. I pretty much forced the toothbrush into Johnley's mouth. He wasn't crying, but he wasn't happy either! Then we put them in bed and Nick started reading a story. Johnley was pissed and got out of bed, Sammy climbed on Nick's lap and pretty soon Johnley joined him. Then we kissed the boys goodnight and left the room.








Johnley immediately closed and locked the door - not a good sign! We told him to open it and he did. He started crying and Sammy announced that he was crying and that he took his pajamas off. I went in to lay with Sammy and watched Johnley systematically take the sheets of the top half of the bed, take the pillow case off the pillow, lay down, sit up and push the sheets and blanket further down, and settle down on the pillow. I asked him if it was all good (bien?) and he explained what he had done. I said that was ok (daco) and he went to sleep.


I have no idea what that was about, but no worries. All in all the day was a huge success. I really don't see how it could have gone better. I'm sure there will be worse days (probably lots) but all is right with the world.


I am VERY upset about one thing, though. Last night Sammy came into our room and said "Mom?", and Nick said, "Come on up buddy", and Sammy said, "No, I'm gonna sleep in my bed." And then he went back to bed!!!!! Can you believe that? My baby doesn't need me anymore? I had planned for them BOTH to sleep with me....Damn.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Congratulations VanDuyne Family. I am so glad Johnley FINALLY made it home! Welcome Back Nick. Hope all is well. Thinking of you always.

pamajama said...

Wow -- I feel like I just got the most amazing installment of some great story I only get chapters of occasionally . . . I want more!

The pictures are SO ADORABLE.
CONGRATULATIONS!

Beyond everything else, you must be SO HAPPY to have your husband back!

Anonymous said...

He is finally here! Your family is finally under one roof! I am so happy for all of you. I am sending you a big hug, Aimee. The pictures are beautiful! I am still laughing over Sammy's comment,"send this one back, for another brother that speaks our language"! They say the funiest things.

Love,
Megan

natasha said...

Aimee-
I found your blog and enjoyed reading through it! I'm so HAPPY you have Johnley home!!! What a cute little guy he is....however, I didn't get to witness any tantrums when I met him :)

Sounds like your husband got stuck in the crossfire between USCIS and the State Dept. too! Makes me want to scream that our own gov't can't figure out how to play nice in the sandbox!

Take care......I am so happy for you and your family!!! Check out my blog sometime....Johnley might like to see some of the pictures I have posted of Katiana :) http://threemorehixons.blogspot.com

Cheers!
Natasha