Thursday, October 25, 2007

Okay, I totally stole this from another blog. I hope I don't offend them by posting it, but it is beautiful and so appropriate....

Enough

When I look at your picture I see traces of pain in your eyes,

I see there things that cause a mother’s heart to ache-
Loss, fear, hunger, pain….

You know what it is like to cry yourself to sleep because you are hungry, don’t you?
Did you sleep on the floor, hard and cold?
You know what it is like to be dirty for so long,
You can’t remember being clean.
There were times when you were sick but your parents had nothing to give you so,
You suffered.

Yet, you lived.
So many others do not.

And they, your first parents, loved you;
They gave you their names.

I can’t imagine how terrifying your first night was, there in the orphanage.
Did you watch out the window, waiting for someone to return?
How long did it take before your tears ceased,
Giving way to numbing acceptance of loss too profound for one so small to understand.

I see it all there, in your eyes.

I know I will have to prove it to you,
But I’m not going anywhere.

So many upheavals in one small life.
You have learned to be wary of what comes next.
I see the traces there in the way your brow knits together.

Then, like the first rays of sunshine breaking through storm clouds-
Hope dawns in your eyes.
A fragile hope, but an effervescent smile.
You haven’t given up yet, have you?

Can I love you enough?

Can I love you enough that you will forget what it was like to be lonely?

Can I feed you enough that you forget what it was like to be hungry?

Can I hold you enough that you will forget what it was like to be afraid?

I can’t wait to try….

No comments: